Re: BITNET

From: John Cowan (john_cowan@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 11:52:12 EDT

Due to network problems, I can read mail at cowan@ccil.org, but
can't post/reply/send from there. Please direct all private replies
to cowan@ccil.org , not the HotMail address. Thanks.

Nelson Minar complained:

> Would that MIME quoted printable let this through without mucking
> with all the equals signs. EBCDIC is one up on us here.

As far as I can tell, MIME QP "lets through" the entire invariant
character set (CS 640) except for leading/trailing spaces, which are
already noted as a problem in Otto's post, and the equals sign itself.
But obviously the quote character must itself be invariant for the
whole scheme to work!

> Nelson, who's really tired of reading =20 in his mail.

Arguably, your problems are not with QP but with fanatical mailing
agents which assume that trailing blanks and long lines in plain
text actually mean something to somebody, instead of politely stripping
the former and reformatting away the latter.

--
John Cowan                       cowan@ccil.org
        Please do not use "Reply"