Re: Mailing list musings (was: RSVP...)

From: 10646er@sesame.demon.co.uk
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 05:10:30 EDT

In message <9707221453.AA13988@unicode.org> unicode@unicode.org writes:

> Pete> Let's hear it for that Reply-To line. :-( Obviously these should
> Pete> have gone to the sender and *not* to the list. But the list is
> Pete> trying to be helpful. Silly list. Getting rid of the From field
> Pete> pointing to the list is great. Leaving the Reply-To pointing to the
> Pete> list is unnecessary; I can use the Reply-All command if I want to
> Pete> talk to the list.

Mark Leisher replied:

> I have to disagree. The vast majority of the time (like this one), I want to
> reply to the list. I have never understood why people subscribe to a public
> forum and then want to maintain personal communication as the default.

I agree entirely. As one of the moderators of the tc46sc2@elot.gr
list on transliteration, where we tried both ways on this list, we
found that defaulting to the list is what kept it alive. Otherwise
discussion - and getting an idea of consensus on specific issues - is
reduced as peoplle only post to the original authors.

Best wishes

John Clews

--
John Clews (Chair of ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages)

SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Road, Harrogate, HG2 7PG, England Email: Converse@sesame.demon.co.uk; tel: +44 (0) 1423 888 432