indexing of various langauges

From: Gary Grosso (gpg@arbortext.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 21:31:30 EDT

This is not strictly on the topic of Unicode, but many on this list are
knowledgeable about editing/typography of many of the worlds languages.
Also, I would be happy to get pointers to other sources.

My question is this: for reasons of streamlining our implementation, we
would like to limit the number of primary sort characters to 255. Does
anyone knows of any language where the generally accepted indexing practice
would have more that 255 distinct primary weights, or index groupings?

Thanks for any help.

--

Gary Grosso ArborText, Inc. Ann Arbor MI, USA gpg@arbortext.com