RE: MS Language Packs (was Re: FW: MS-Windows and Unicode Support

From: Edward Cherlin (cherlin@cauce.org)
Date: Sun Aug 10 1997 - 14:19:52 EDT

At 11:24 AM -0700 8/3/97, Charles Frankston wrote:
>http://www.microsoft.com/ie/ is certainly still current. When you get
>to that page, you should click on the "Download" link, and you'll get a
>choice of downloads, including IE3, IE4, and the language packs for IE3
>or IE4. I'm not sure if there are actually any differences between the
>IE3 and IE4 language packs, but I'm pretty sure if you already have the
>IE3 language pack on your machine, you don't need to download the IE4
>pack for the same language.
[snip]

No wonder I couldn't find it. Not only are the language packs in the
Internet Explorer directory rather than Win95, but the site won't let you
download them using any browser other than IE. Cheap, Microsoft, cheap. I
was trying to find information for users of Office 97, who may or may not
have IE installed.

Anyway, it turns out that the only language packs available are for
extended Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic (input and display both) and for
Chinese, Japanese, and Korean (display only). These are the scripts
provided on the Office 97 CD-ROM, so there is nothing for my readers to
download.

--
Edward Cherlin       Help outlaw Spam     Everything should be made
Vice President     http://www.cauce.org      as simple as possible,