Re: Unicode end-users

From: Glen Perkins (gperkins@netcom.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 12:26:01 EDT

Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:

> We have in the ISO POSIX WG been thru all POSIX standards to see
> what changes we should do to the standards to accompdate UCS.
> We found that POSIX standards in general were ready to handle UCS
> in the UTF-8 encoding without problems, as the APIs for example
> were encoding independent. The null bytes in UCS-2 and UCS-4 was
> considered to make problems for many current implementations of
> POSIX, due to the null byte being used to terminate strings in
> C and C++ programs.
>
> We are working on a new interchange format, where the file names
> are to be encoded in UTF-8.

Keld,

Is it likely, then, that POSIX compliance is going to *require* the
ability to handle UTF-8 transparently? Is it going to further require
UTF-8 as the default system encoding, or can three different
POSIX-compliant machines have three different default system encodings?

__Glen Perkins__

__Glen Perkins__