RE: Ess-zed (was: Ligaturing)

From: Geoff Back (Geoff@autocue.MHS.CompuServe.COM)
Date: Sat Aug 16 1997 - 10:26:17 EDT

I think what Ken is saying is that instead of attempting to encode a sharp-S
capital (which is semantically NULL) you would have a font containing such
"illegal but used" characters, and switch to it for the character (hence the

The other way to do it (and the way we do) is that we have a special font
that only contains glyphs in capitals - but in both the codepoints for the
capital and the lowercase characters. IE, you would write your headline in
mixed case as usual, but the font images used to render it would display as
capitals. So the image stored for LOWERCASE-SHARP-S would in fact look like
it was a capital. In this way you keep the semantic meaning of the
underlying character points.

Cheers,

        Geoff.

Geoff Back. Senior Programmer and Systems Administrator, Autocue Ltd.
Nothing in this E-Mail message reflects the views of Autocue Ltd unless
explicitly indicated as so in the text.
Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B) This email address
may not be added to any commercial mail list with out my permission.
Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will result in a suit for a
MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.