Re: Unicode font for Mac?

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 1997 - 19:30:10 EDT

Vincent DelGobbo wrote:

> > On 8/20/97 5:22 AM, Vincent DelGobbo (sasvcd@unx.sas.com) wrote:
> >
> > >I could not get Cyberdog to work at all. In fact, the only
> > >encodings available from the pulldown were Western (MacOS) and
> > >Western (ISO 8859-1).
> > >
> > Cyberdog provides Unicode support by taking advantage of installed
> > Macintosh scripts and converting to them. MRJ and Netscape do the same.
> > Do you have any of the Language Kits installed?
> >
> > John H. Jenkins
> > jenkins@apple.com
> > tseng@blueneptune.com
> > http://www.blueneptune.com/~tseng
>
> As far as I know, no language scripts are installed on the
> machine I tested on. I looked at the page:
>
> http://www.macos.apple.com/multilingual/languagekits.html
>
> Language kits for the following 7 languages are available
> at an approximate cost of $900 total (+tax +shipping):
>
> Arabic & Persian
> Chinese
> Cyrillic
> Hebrew
> Indian
> Japanese
> Korean
>
> I am interested in supporting at least ISO-8859-1 through 9,
> and it looks like some needed language packs may not be
> available. What do I do about Greek? Do I really have to
> pay $900+ because I want to test my HTML for other languages?
> Why isn't the converted Cyberbit enough (at least for NS 4.01)?
> I did not see any mention of Unicode anywhere on the page.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vince
> sasvcd@unx.sas.com

This is a GOOD QUESTION. I don't think Apple's Language Kit is TOO expensive
since Apple have pay for the font, input method (Keyboard driver) , script
bundle and QA for the localized applications. (Probably one of the reason
Microsoft do not go into this business). But I think Apple should really
consider provide the following thing for FREE:
1. Script Bundle
2. WorldScript, WorldScript I, WorldScript II (it sort of free now since it is
optional installation item in MacOS7.6)
3. Things Simple and Work (Greek font, Central European font, Cyrillic font,
etc.)

If these thing are free at least user could purchase font and use them for a
"View Only" solution on the web.

If you have use Language Kit, you will appreciate what they did. I think it is
worthy to pay them if you are using them for your word processor. But probably
not worthy to use them to VIEW INFORMATION.

Do not underestimate what they did for Bi-directional (Hebrew/Thai) and other
Complex Script (Indic/Thai). I don't think PC or UNIX could compare with them.

[This is my personal opinion]