Re: Ess-zed (was: Ligaturing)

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Fri Aug 22 1997 - 13:46:40 EDT

Ar 10:00 -0700 1997-08-22, scríobh KNAPPEN@MZDMZA.ZDV.UNI-MAINZ.DE:

>Although according to the orthographical rules of the german languages,
>all capital sharp s's should be represented as `SS' or in exceptional cases
>(where there is a pair of words only differing in ss/sharp s) as `SZ',
>you can see capital sharp s's galore in germany.
>
>Just randomly watch shop signs (usually written in all caps), advertisements,
>or other displayed material (like pie charts or bar charts in newspapers)
>around in germany. Just today I saw an ad of a firm called
>GEI<CAPITAL SHARP S> here in Mainz.

GIF? JPEG? TIFF? I'll host a capital sharp s page on my web site if you
haven't got one handy, Jörg.

>By the way, I cannot confirm the shape recently posted by Michael Everson,
>I think he got it mirrored.

Yes, now that I think of it, that is why it looked Tibetan to me. Of course
it would have been

********
* *
* *
* *
* **
* *
* *
* *

Not that this doesn't also look Tibetan. :-)

>There is another reason to have a capital sharp s different from SS:
>According to the traditional spelling rules the letter combination ss
>resulting from sharp s must not be hyphenated, while the combination ss
>(native) is almost always hyphenatable s-s.

I would support the encoding of a capital sharp S. But I've said that
before. ;-)

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)