Re: Seeking Hebrew character 'shuruq'

From: Willy Weisz (weisz@edvz.tuwien.ac.at)
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 14:07:02 EDT

Glenn Adams wrote:

> At 01:51 AM 9/18/97 -0700, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
> >I would like to add that the name we (in Israel) had adopted for 05BC is
> >"HEBREW POINT DAGESH OR MAPIQ OR SHURUQ". This is the English name in the
> >Israeli standards, such as SI 1489 (1992) and SI 1311-1 (1996).
> >
> >I think the name in ISO 10646 and in Unicode should be corrected to avoid
> >further confusion.
>

> It is unforunate that SI has chosen a divergent name in this case. Other ISO coded
> character standards and many national standards are in the process of being revised
> to update their names to employ those of 10646, which is viewed as supra-normative
> for this purpose. I would suggest that SI revise their standard accordingly.

Since Israel is the only country whose official language is Hebrew, I
think
it is their standards institute who should define the designation and
naming
of Hebrew characters, and the names they give should be taken over by
international
bodies. Nobody would expect that the English designations of latin
characters
should be defined in say China or an Arab country.

Regards

Willy

Willy Weisz

Technische Universitaet Wien Vienna University of Technology EDV-Zentrum Computing Services Hochleistungsrechnen High Performance Computing

Wiedner Hauptstrasse 8-10 A-1040 Wien

Tel: (+43 1) 588 01 - 5818 Fax: (+43 1) 587 42 11 e-mail: weisz@edvz.tuwien.ac.at