Re: TR6 charset

From: Chris Newman (Chris.Newman@innosoft.com)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 16:33:35 EDT

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Roman Czyborra wrote:
> That's why I herewith kindly ask according to RFC 2278 to register the
> charset label "SCSU" (Standard Compression Scheme for Unicode) for
> Reuters' character encoding scheme of the well-known coded character
> set Unicode (ISO 10646) as described in Unicode Technical Report 6
> <http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr6.html> of 1997-05-30 minus
> its errors and plus any future extensions.

You need a complete registration according to RFC 2278 rules.

Personally, I think registering this charset will be counter-productive to
the acceptance of Unicode and is a bad idea.

The more variant encodings of Unicode that end up used in practice, the
more people will hate Unicode and want to use their good old localized
character set which "just worked." While Unicode is a relatively easy
sell to implementors it is a hard sell to end-users and more encoding
schemes just makes it that much harder.

This encoding scheme is particularly bad because it can't be used in a
MIME text/* media type and it permits NUL octets, so it will have to be
encoded in most transport environments.

                - Chris