Re: IPA and Unicode

From: Martin Heijdra (mheijdra@princeton.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 09:28:16 EDT

In fact, Richard's characters are exactly the ones I once talked about,
characters which are used as extensions (NOT obsolete versions) to IPA, which
is deemed by many Tibeto-Burmese linguists as incomplete.

At that moment, I did collect material of proof of widespread use, official
guidelines, Chinese encyclopedias, their use in Chinese typesetting programs,
and started checking them against Unicode, in order to officially report them;
Ken and Joan send me information on how to do that.

What bogged me down, and what made my job unfinished, is that once I looked
into the Chinese typesetting programs, I did not find only the four or five
symbols widely used, but more a collection of some 100 IPA and non-IPA
phonetical symbols accessible. I started to map those to Unicode, but found
this difficult in many cases, partly intrinsically, partly because the
printing in my samples seemed to be multiinterpretable.

I think I 'm writing this in the hope that Michael Everson will say, hey, send
what you found to me, and I'll take it from there...

Martin Heijdra

--
Martin Heijdra
Gest Oriental Library