IPA and Unicode

From: Richard Cook (rscook@socrates.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 16 1998 - 12:10:24 EDT

Sorry to bother you all with this, but I'm seeking information on the
current state of Unicode support for phonetic transcription characters
and diacritics.

Since I work with data which reflects numerous source transcription
systems, I need two types of phonetic transcription support:

1.) a "traditional" phonetic transcription character set, including a
number on non-IPA symbols, for use in capturing source transcriptions.

2.) the current IPA phonetic transcription character set, for use in a
normalization of the source transcriptions.

I should like to know to what extent Unicode will allow for
transcriptions following the current IPA standard, as well as the extent
of Unicode support for non-IPA "traditional" transcriptions.

A few examples:

"curly-tailed-n", for alveolo-palatal (pre-palatal) nasal;
"curly-tailed-t", for alveolo-palatal (pre-palatal) voiceless stop;
"curly-tailed-d", for alveolo-palatal (pre-palatal) voiced stop;
"small-capital omega", for a rounded mid back vowel;
"Long-Leg Turned Iota", (see Pullum + Ladusaw, 1996:89);
"Right-Tail Turned Iota", (see Pullum + Ladusaw, 1996:90);

For more examples, please download the Macintosh STEDT font from
http://faust.linguistics.berkeley.edu/stedt/fontpage.html

Best,
Richard

--