Re: HIGH OGONEK in IR-158 (Skolt Sami)

From: Richard Verhoeven (rcb5@win.tue.nl)
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 10:44:44 EDT

Markus Kuhn:

>I have just tried to write a Unicode mapping for the ISO Registry character
>set IR-158 (Skolt Sami), because some people want to have this in the
>MES standard.

Is this the same as the Sami encoding? Or are there small differences?

>IR-158 contains at position 3/0 the character HIGH OGONEK, which looks
>exactly like what the name suggests, it is an OGONEK (U+02db) that
>is not position below but above the normal character area.

Does position 3/0 not contain the zero digit, like in most ASCII-based
character sets? I assume you ment position 11/0. According to the
mapping table from the ECMA registry, that position contains
MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA (U+02bb).

>Does Unicode/UCS have some equivalent of the IR-158 HIGH OGONEK
>character in the queue? I couldn't find anything in Unicode 2.1.
>
>Just trying to complete my mapping table ...

I thought the SAMI/IR-158 mapping was complete. Or does the
mapping at ftp://dkuug.dk/i18n/WG15-collection/charmaps/SAMI
contain errors?

>Markus

Richard