Re: Terminal Graphics Proposal

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 06 1998 - 00:45:28 EDT

Based on the discussion and feedbak received your set of characters is
changing.
>The original proposal included:
>
> Math symbols: 34
> Line/Box/Block symbols: 31
> Misc symbols: 7
> Control pictures: 115
> Hex bytes: 256
> TOTAL: 443
>
>The single biggest category is hex bytes, which so far seems to have received
>a warm reception. Thus the greatest controversy seems to swirl around the
>smallest number of characters.
>
>We begin by unifying the proposed diagonal C0 control pictures with the ones
>already at U+2400:
>
> Math symbols: 34
> Line/Box/Block symbols: 31
> Misc symbols: 7
> Control pictures: 81
> Hex bytes: 256
> TOTAL: 409
>
>If we eliminate the hex bytes, this brings the total down to 153.

Could you reissue a complete proposal with those unifications that you
accept. You might also separate your proposal into parts to make things
like Hex digits, that are novel and have a different motivation, optional
so that
they can be separately considered.

You might also create a separate list of those symbols that need further
investigation (like the double wide clock symbol proposed on the list).

Finally, once you feel that your proposal is pretty stable, there are brand
new instructions on how to submit proposals to Unicode on the web site (the
page should be called proposals.html, but I'm not sure where you will find
it). It would be useful to assemble the kinds of information that are
needed, esp. the answers to the form.

The final submission must be on paper, but for now, it would be nice to see
your list of 153 (or fewer) unified characters once more on the list.

A./