Re: Displaying Plane 1 characters (annotating the code table

From: Markus Scherer (schererm@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 10:39:37 EST

Hello,

the Unicode Cosortium and ISO treat their standards differently. They are
separate standards that are kept in sync, not one single standard.

ISO 10646 defines 32b code points and allows encodings with less capabilities
for subsets. They are going into the direction of only using planes 0 to 16 for
official assignments as those can be coded with UTF-16.

The Unicode Consortium defines 16b characters and, with the version 2.0 of the
Unicode Standard, includes the use of surrogate pairs to add the same range of
characters as with UTF-16. They are not going to use 32b characters. The
surrogate pair mechanism is exactly UTF-16.

This may be inconvenient when handling non-BMP characters, and it is
questionable for internal algorithms where UCS-4 makes things easier,
especially since you have to be prepared for several different file and stream
encodings anyway.

However, it probably makes sense for files as an easy and somewhat compact
format, and it makes sense for the number of possible characters: 1M + 64k,
including 128k+6400 private use character code points. There are about 38000
characters assigned so far, with about 20000-30000 more in the pipeline.

Implementations using UCS-4 are not conformant with Unicode, strictly speaking,
but I would not worry too much about it as long as you can read and write
UTF-16.

"On systems where the native haracter type or wchar_t are implemented as 32-bit
quantities, an implementation may transiently use 32-bit quantities to
represent Unicode characters during processing. The internals of this
representation are treated as a black box and are not Unicode conformant. In
particular, any API or runtime library interfaces that accept strings of 32-bit
characters are not Unicode conformant. If such an implementation interchanges
16-bit Unicode characters with the outside world, then this interchange can be
conformant as long as the interface for this interchange complies with the
requirements of Chapter 3, Conformance."

from "The Unicode Standard, Version 2.0", 1996jul, Addison-Wesley, Chapter 5
"Implementation Guidelines", 5.1 "ANSI/ISO C wchar_t"

markus

Markus Scherer IBM RTP +1 919 486 1135 Dept. Fax +1 919 254 6430
scherer@raleigh.ibm.com

Edwin.Hart@jhuapl.edu on 98-11-09 09:34:13
Please respond to unicode@unicode.org