Re: dotless j (Syllabization)

From: LaBont\i, Alain (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 09:44:16 EDT

A 05:56 99-07-07 -0700, Elliotte Rusty Harold a écrit :
>I was being a bit tongue in cheek. I can't think of an English word, but
>in the period in question Latin was common (and French). -ius words
>become -ii in the plural. If you have a copy of Cappelli's "Dizionario
>di Abbreviature latine ed italiane" there is an example on page 2 of
>alii where there are two i's in superscript over an a and the second i
>is long (It looks rather like a superscript y but without a curl in its
>tail).
>
>But these are not part of the same syllable. An English equivalent
>would be radii (plural of radius) which is syllabized as rad-i-i

[Alain] In passing, syllabation would *never* *ever* be done like this in
French...

In the latter language, if that word existed, it would be automatically and
systematically syllabized into "ra-di-i (and perhaps, as there is a rule
which says that you never cut a vowel alone, actual hyphenation would then
rather be "ra-dii").

Alain LaBonté
Québec