Re: New Unicode blurb

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 11:11:25 EST

> >Comments welcome. It's aimed Kermit users but most of it should also be
> >palatable to the general public. Also the UTF-8 sampler:
> >
> > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html
> >
> >is expanding. Who can add more languages?
>
> In the lines of Odysseus Elytis, all the stressed vowels are represented
> as question marks in Netscape 4.7 with Greek WorldScript running on a
> Mac. How come?

Beats me! I can see them in Netscape 4.06 with New Times Roman on a PC.
For example, the third character in the second word of the first line is
small omega with tonos, U+03CE, which in the file's UTF-8 encoding becomes
cf8e (hex). The UTF-8 encoding is announced in the file like so:

  <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

These letters also show up using the Arial and Code2000 fonts. The latter
(unlike Times & Arial) also shows the Armenian, Chinese, Japanese, and Thai.
Only the new versions of Times & Arial show the Hebrew.

- Frank