Re: New Unicode blurb

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 16:32:08 EST

> I wonder what kind of UTF-8 support they put into kermit and xterm.

Sorry, I forgot to answer the first part of your question. The new
Kermit releases:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

support UTF-8 in terminal sessions, either on the far end, the near end or
both (or neither). When the two sets are not the same, Kermit converts
between them.

For file transfer, Kermit converts character sets between each end. About
35 different sets are supported, including UCS-2 (Either-Endian) and
UTF-8. For a brief overview, see:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/case14.html

as well as the aforementioned blurb:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/unicode.html

Kermit also can convert the character set of a local file, e.g. from
a "traditional" character set to Unicode or vice versa (or in any other
combination).

The script/language/charset groups currently supported are: Latin-1,
Latin-2, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, and Japanese, over a wide variety of
platforms. Others are added according to user demand.

- Frank