Re: 100% (was Re: Unicode 3.0 press statements)

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 13:20:27 EST

John Clews wrote:

> Covers 100% of all scripts used in national languages worldwide.
> All characters are present for this category.

Do you have a blow-by-blow for this: countries, official languages,
scripts?

> A few languages (a small number, with a relatively small number of
> speakers on a global scale) which lack this status do not have the
> full range of characters available.

"Few" is not the word. Remember that of the 7000 langs in Ethnologue,
about 1000 are spoken solely in New Guinea! Small number of speakers,
not that either: we don't have Cantonese-specific ideographs, and
Cantonese is spoken worldwide although it is not official anywhere.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)