RE: Unicode top 100 (was RE: Unicode 3.0 press statements)

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 13:14:50 EST

N.L. Liwal wrote:
>In case of UNICODE we are talking of SCRIPT
>and LANGUAGES, "not dialects". A language may have
>100 dialects, but use one or rearely two scripts,
>like Malay.

You are Right.

Once again, the list I used was an *extract* from a list of *dialects*, in
fact it was not appropriate for the task, as I agreed. I used that list just
because it was one click away, so I thought that it could have been a
quick-and-dirty hack. But it wasn't. And your estimate of Pashto speakers is
correct, also according to my encyclopedia.

Regards.
Marco