Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro (bis)

From: Robert A. Rosenberg (bob.rosenberg@digitscorp.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 15:10:30 EST

At 10:23 AM 02/10/2000 -0800, Alain wrote:
>À 09:54 2000-02-10 -0800, Robert A. Rosenberg a écrit:
>>There are MacEudora Translation Tables that will accept messages that are
>>flagged as Windows-1252 ...
>
>I forgot. What if the code page is tagged as 8859-1 but is actually 1252
>(as is teh case for WinEudora latest French version commercially available)?

The Qualcomm supplied pages (usually) use a Macintosh mapping for the extra
32 characters not the one in 1252. This is the reason why curly quotes show
up oddly (even the characters that are common between the two platforms
which are mapped into the x80-x9F range in "ISO-8859-1" do not us the same
codes). As part of the Tables, there is a translate table that reverses the
ISO->Mac Mapping so that it matches the original (pre-translation) received
codes. You can then use the WinLatin1->MacRoman table to do the translation
just as if it had been marked as Windows-1252 in the first place. The only
way to tell if the tables are REALLY CP1252 or just the normal
MacRoman->ISO-8859-1 mappings is to inspect them (or to have a message sent
from a US Eudora to see what comes out the other end).

Here is some CP1252 to look at (the 5th should come out OK since the letter
"c-cedilla"
is in the good range):

Open Double Quote - “
Close Double Quote - ”
Open Single Quote - ‘
Close Single Quote - ’
Facade with accented c - Façade

Here is an extract from one of my prior messages on the issue of the tables:

There exist Translate tables that will create correct outgoing messages
coded as CP-1252 and which will untranslate incoming messages translated by
the Eudora supplied tables so they can then be retranslated as CP-1252. The
can be found by linking via the Internationalization (I18N) entry on the
EMAILMAN Eudora site (<http://www.emailman.com>). If you want the Tables
they can be directly accessed and downloaded by using this URL
<http://www.hf.uib.no/i/smi/files/eudtab.html> (read the info on that page
first). The explanation of the problem is at
<http://www.hf.uib.no/i/smi/ksv/char.html>.