Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro (bis)

From: Alain LaBonté  (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 10:10:52 EST

À 15:11 2000-02-07 -0800, Erik van der Poel a écrit:
>Have you tried 0x80 with the label "windows-1252" in the various
>browsers? I suspect that it will be OK. Of course, it will only work if
>the user has fonts with the euro, but that's pretty obvious.

[Alain] Again with email software in French. I use the latest Eudora Pro
4.2 French version (a very fine package with advanced parallel features for
simultaneously handling multiple email accounts input, output and editing)
and when I receive a MIME-tagged header indicating Windows-1252 (it happens
everyday, usually from Outlook as a lot of my correspondents use this very
fine package too), it does not get decoded. I then say to my correspondents
to use 8-bit encoding even in headers (turn off QP option), but that does
not solve the Mac-PC-Unix-EBCDIC communication problem for my language.

Alain LaBonté
Québec

Example of horror stories: