Re: Vulgar fractions (was: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro)

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 06:08:51 EST

---------------------------------------
From: Peter Westlake <peter@harlequin.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Vulgar fractions (was: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro)
Date: 11/02/2000 11:24:08 am
---------------------------------------
>Am 2000-02-10 um 15:07 h (PST) hat Paul Keinanen geschrieben: >> These
fractions might be usable in countries using "Imperial" units, >> but as far
as I know, there are only a few countries still using
>> "Imperial" units :-).

Why are fractions only usable with Imperial units? Do ISO standards forbid
metric units to be written as fractions? Also, not everything
is a unit; fractions are very useful in mathematical formulae, and
for numbers in general.

I'm not sure if the UK counts as somewhere using Imperial units, but our
currency is decimal. The London Stock Exchange quotes some prices using
fractions of a penny, especially bond prices. I've seen 5/32 before now.

    Tim