RE: Vulgar fractions (was: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro)

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 13:43:20 EST

Marco.Cimarosti said

> What is the intended rendering of U+2044 (FRACTION SLASH)
> in Unicode?

> And what changes (if any) should it cause on sorrounding
> digits? (e.g.: should the digits preceding the slash be
> superscript and the ones following it subscript?)

Well here's an opinion...

If you have an Expert set for the font, use the super and
subscript digits and the special fraction version of the solidus.
(The expert versions of the digits are better than scaling
the full size versions since the thickness of the strokes
should match the feel of the rest of the font better.)
The fraction solidus shoul kern around the digits on both
sides.

The Blue Postscript book (Tutorial and Cookbook) suggests
that if you want to scale the full size digits then scale to
65% in the x direction and 60% in the y direction.

If you mathematicians' style fractions, you'll need to calculate
the lengths of the top and bottom halves, draw a horizontal
line the length of the widest and centre the other number.
The shilling (solidus) style fraction seems easier to me.

    Tim