RE: Vulgar fractions (was: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 16:36:54 EST

Marco asked:

> What is the intended rendering of U+2044 (FRACTION SLASH) in Unicode?
>
> And what changes (if any) should it cause on sorrounding digits? (e.g.:
> should the digits preceding the slash be superscript and the ones following
> it subscript?)
>
> I know that, because "Unicode encodes characters not glyphs", questions like
> "how should be that character be displayed?" are always a problem, so I
> don't necessarily want *the* answer, but I'll be happy also to receive
> *some* subjective answers.

Tim Partridge provided some detailed rendering implementation guidelines in
his answer.

The Unicode Standard's take on it is on page 152 of the book:

"The standard form of a fraction built using the fraction slash is
defined as follows: Any sequence of one or more decimal digits, followed
by the fraction slash, followed by any sequence of one or more decimal
digits. Such a fraction should be displayed as a unit, such as 3/4
[[small 3 beside slash beside small 4]] or as 3/4 [[3 over horizontal
over 4]]. The precise choice of display can depend upon additional
formatting information.

"If the displaying software is incapable of mapping the fraction to
a unit, then it can also be displayed as a simple linear sequence as
a fallback (for example, 3/4). If the fraction is to be separated
from a previous number, then a space can be used, choosing the appropriate
width (normal, thin, zero width, and so on). For example, 1 +
ZERO-WIDTH SPACE + 3 + FRACTION SLASH + 4 is displayed as 13/4 [[fullsize
1 followed by 3/4 as a vulgar fraction]]."

--Ken