Re: PUA

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 16:15:06 EST

Like Frank said, "Oh my, here we go again"... But there is a bright spot:

> This way, every program that wants to "interoperate" with other
> programs will have to understand every single PUA registration,
> and include gigabytes of conversion code.

Great news for manufacturers of mass-storage devices! Yay!

The PUA is more like a National Forest than a City Park. Just say "Heck
No!" to all proposals for any semi-official, proposed, semi-standardized,
rationalized, regulated, or recommended usage of the private use area. Leave
it alone and let people run freely with wild abandon through the trees...

Meanwhile, if there are enough people who want to actually do something
about developing a glyph standard, then darn it all why don't they _DO_
something about it already? It doesn't seem like there is enough momentum.

        Rick