Re: Cyrillic -

From: Vladimir Weinstein (weiv@jtcsv.com)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 19:23:30 EDT

Hi,

I have looked at your web site. If I am not mistaken, you are using a
codepage that is commonly refered to as cyrillic YUSCII. This makes the
page almost unusable except for the people that have 'Pulshelvetika7'
font installed.

As you have correctly assumed, the best thing would be to convert the
page to Unicode (although you could also convert it microsoft cp1251 or
ISO 8859-5). You will not loose your pages - just work on the copies of
them.

One possible way would be, as Markus already mentioned, to use ICU
converter framework - but you would have to make a converter table.
There is also a set of macros for Word that handles ex-YU codepage
conversions, which can be found at http://solair.eunet.yu/~minya/

Once you have converted your text to Unicode - you should add encoding
information to your page about the used encoding.

Most modern browsers should be able to swallow and correctly display
such a page.

Should you have more questions, please contact me directly.

Hope this helps,

--
Vladimir Weinstein
Software Engineer, Unicode Technology Group