Re: Kana and Case (was [totally OT] Unicode terminology)

From: 11digitboy@bolt.com
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 16:06:24 EST

Okay. Get out your copy of the lyrics to the Ranma
1/2 Complete Vocal Collection Vol. 1. Now look at
the lyrics to Ranbada Ranma (that's Track 12) and
tell me that the long vowel mark is not used with
hiragana.

| || \ __/__ | | _/_ | ||
/
| _|_ ,--, / \ /_ | -+- / --- | /
| V T_) | | | \ | | | /
_
 \_/ T / \ / __/ | / --- \_/ L/
\

---- Thomas Chan <thomas@atlas.datexx.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11digitboy@bolt.com wrote:
>
> > If the difference between "A" and "a" is called
> "case",
> > what is the difference between HIRAGANA LETTER
> YA
> > and KATAKANA LETTER YA called? (I think either
> of
> > those letters would do to describe this with
> the
> > new code pages. The description would be enhanced
> > by liberal application of HIRAGANA-KATAKANA LONG
> > VOWEL MARK.)
>
> Maybe you should also be asking what the difference
> between U+0041 LATIN
> CAPITAL LETTER A, U+0391 GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA,
> and U+0410 CYRILLIC
> CAPITAL LETTER A is called.
>
> However, although U+3084 HIRAGANA LETTER YA and
> U+30E4 KATAKANA LETTER YA
> are both derived from U+4E54 (the former from a
> cursive form; the latter
> from a simplification of the print form), it doesn't
> hold for most other
> kana, such as U+3042 HIRAGANA LETTER A and U+30A2
> KATAKANA LETTER A, which
> are derived from a cursive form of U+5B89 and a
> simplification of the
> print form of U+963F, respectively.
>
> I don't get what you mean by "new code pages".
> Who's creating those
> anymore?
>
> Hiragana, unlike katakana, doesn't use U+30FC KATAKANA-HIRAGANA
> PROLONGED SOUND MARK for writing long vowels.
> (Why does it have this name
> in Unicode?) What's this "HIRAGANA-KATAKANA LONG
> VOWEL MARK"?--I see no
> such thing.
>

> > I like "Astral Planes" better.
> > Will they include INUKTITUT VIGESIMAL DIGITs?
>
> I don't. I write in Cantonese and some of contents
> of Plane 2 are very
> much down-to-earth for me. Are you a musician?
> If so, then Plane 1 would
> be important to you, too.
>
> Throwing around terms like "Astral Planes", whether
> official or not, will
> just engender lack of credibility for Unicode,
> which has already happened
> to some extent among people who heard about some
> "Klingon" (in the Private
> Use Area) in Unicode.
>

> Thomas Chan
> tc31@cornell.edu

Get your own FREE Bolt Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and
fax, all in one place - sign up at http://www.bolt.com