Re: Lushootseed

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 20:30:22 EDT

Bev Corwin asked:

> Does anyone know if the Lushootseed language is included in Unicode? I
> searched but could not find it.... if you have an URL could you please send.
> Thanks in advance.

The Unicode Standard does not *encode* or *include* languages --
it encodes scripts.

The Lushootseed language is ordinarily written in the Latin
script. And the encoding of the Latin script includes, as far
as I know, all the additional letters and diacritics needed
for the standard Americanist transcription of Lushootseed or
any other reasonable Latin representation of Lushootseed are
already in Unicode.

For example, all the characters needed to represent all the
glyphs present in the LaserSalish font for the Macintosh are
in Unicode. (Not all as precomposed characters, of course --
you do have to use letter modifiers and diacritics.)

--Ken Whistler