RE: [OT] Reply editing

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 12:28:18 EDT

Carl,

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, cbrown@xnetinc.com wrote:
>
> I am not sure exactly what you mean by this. Do you mean adding a
> '>' at the beginning of each line and replying in place? If so then
> replying to a 300+ line missive is a lot of hand editing.

Just remove the 300 lines!!! That's pretty simple. ;-)

Let me explain... The problem of overquoting that people are griping about
isn't whether you add ">" or not to things you ARE quoting. The problem
is that some people enclose an _entire_ previous message (or huge portions
thereof), then write a line or two commenting on it. In some cases, people
just append the message they're replying to -- and it might be several
hundred lines. And then they have some minor one or two-line comment on a
minor point. They need not have quoted the entire message. They could
have quoted the line or two they're commenting on, and REMOVED the rest of
the message.

        Rick