Re: japanese xml

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 00:54:04 EDT

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 11:31:31PM -0400, DougEwell2@cs.com wrote:
> If there are two or more different mappings between Unicode/10646 and some
> other encoding -- say, JIS X0208 -- then different XML processors certainly
> may emit different outputs. That is not XML's fault, and it is not Unicode's
> fault either. Unicode provides mapping tables to a wide variety of
> encodings. I would use those if it were up to me.

But there's the problem: Unicode doesn't offer mapping tables for JIS
X0208, it offers mapping tables for the various encodings based off of
JIS X0208, and these tables disagree on how to map some JIS X0208
characters to Unicode. SJIS -> EUC-JP is a standardized lossless
transformation, but SJIS -> Unicode (via Unicode's mapping tables)
-> EUC-JP produces different output in some cases.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and