Re: japanese xml

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 01:59:26 EDT

From: "David Starner" <dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org>

> > This is only a problem for people who do not want to use Unicode.
>
> No! It's a problem with anyone who has to interoperate with people using
> non-Unicode systems or needs to use legacy data. Would you be that
dismissive
> about it if each ISO-8859-n table mapped 00-7F to Unicode slighty
differently?

Actually, I would be (happens now with CP-1252 vs. ISO-8858-1). Because if
people would just use Unicode for their XML, they would not have the
problem.

> > It is
> > certainly not Unicode's fault that the various [vendor-provided]
versions of
> > standards are incomplete or that they conflict with each other.
>
> Unicode put its name on them, and stored them in a directory that also
includes
> normative data. Unicode certainly could have done some basic consistency
> checking on them. They also could have chosen not to publish EUC-JP or
> SJIS tables at all, instead publishing a JIS X 0208 table and saving us
> from most of the problem. Can Unicode be blamed for all of the problem?
> No. But their documents were the source of the problem, and they could
have
> fixed or at least eased the problem with a little more care.

Vendor-provided information. So why not just use Unicode and solve the
problem? Since there is no such thing as a 100% solution for the other
encodings? Given the vast minor differences between other vendor-specific
implementations.

I mean, sure you can choose to make it hard, or you could talk how much
easier it would be if things had been different. But XML usage is a NEW
thing, so I do not buy the legacy argument here. People who pick up new
technologies can get the data into Unicode and end the problem. :-)

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/