Re: [OT] o-circumflex

From: Alex Bochannek (alex@p9.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 17:57:20 EDT

My impression is that at least in U.S. states, which are more heavily
populated by native Spanish speakers, the one diacritic, which is
frequently viewed by English speakers as non-optional to differentiate
two words (specifically proper names) is the tilde as used for the
eņe. There is a college in Redwood City, CA, which is called Caņada
College and, which is off of Caņada Road. I haven't checked
thoroughly, but I believe most road signs there use the eņe. I do know
of one highway exit in the area though which spells it "Canada
College".

Alex.