Re: [OT] o-circumflex/Spanish sorting

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 02:15:53 EDT

David,
I also don't know if the other countries have academies, but my
understanding is Latin American countries haven't accepted the modern
sort. Having said that, there is a lot of software that does not
implement the traditional sort, so "acceptance" is moot.
(The reason the Real Academia Espaņola did away with the sorting of ch
and ll is that a majority of software wasn't implementing sorts that
way.)

tex

David Gallardo wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I know the Real Academia Espaņola decided to do away with "ch" and "ll" in
> 1994, but do you know if the other Spanish speaking countries' corresponding
> academies done the same?
>
> - David Gallardo

Tex Texin                    Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com    Tel: +1-781-280-4271
the Progress Company         Fax: +1-781-280-4655