Re: [OT] o-circumflex/Spanish sorting

From: David Gallardo (dgallardo@mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 12:31:51 EDT

I received a private email stating that that "ch" and "ll" were abolished by
the 10th Congress of the 12 academies of the various Spanish speaking
countries in 1994, not just the RAE. (There are, in addition to the
obvious, also academies for Puerto Rico, North America and the Phillipines.)

However, it was also my understanding that the modern sort wasn't accepted
outside of Spain, but it's never been clear to me if this is just a matter
of popular or academic opinion, or if there has been formal resistance as
well.

Now I wonder if the various academies have the same authority in their
country that the Royal Academy has in Spain, or if there are other national
standards bodies with which they compete or cooperate.

- David Gallardo