UTF-8 <> UCS-2/UTF-16 conversion for library use

From: Tom Emerson (tree@basistech.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 22:27:43 EDT

While the conversion between UTF-8 and UTF-16/UCS-2 is algorithmic and
very fast, we need to remember that a buffer needs to be allocated to
hold the converted result, and the data needs to be copied as things
go in and out of the library.

What is the real impact of this? I don't know: I haven't measured it
myself. Obviously this could be handled a number of ways with various
performance characteristics, but it does become an issue.

Just my $0.02 worth.

    -tree

Sr. Sinostringologist                              http://www.basistech.com