Re: 3rd-party cross-platform UTF-8 support

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 22:16:34 EDT

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 04:16:50PM -0700, Yung-Fong Tang wrote:
> Then... use Unicode internally in your software.... regardless you use
> UTF-8 or UCS2 as the data type in the interface, eventually some code
> need to convert it to UCS2 for most of the processing.

Why? UCS2 shouldn't be used at all, since it's only BMP. UTF-16 has all
the problems of UTF-8, except in a more limited way. If you can deal
with mixed 2 byte and 4 byte characters, you can also deal 1, 2, 3 and 4
byte characters.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,