RE: 3rd-party cross-platform UTF-8 support

From: Yves Arrouye (yves@realnames.com)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 23:35:47 EDT

> > UTF-16 <-> wchar_t*
>
> Wait.... be careful here. wchar_t is not an encoding. So.. in
> theory, you cannot convert between UTF-16 and wchar_t. You,
> however, can convert between UTF-16 and wchar_t* ON win32
> since microsoft declare UTF-16 as the encoding for wchar_t.

And he can also do some between UTF-16 and UTF-32 for glibc-based programs
since UTF-32 is the encoding for wchar_t for such platforms.

The way I read that was UTF-16 <-> UTF-(8*sizeof(wchar_t)). (Please don't
ask what happens when sizeof(wchar_t) is 3 or larger than 4, you know what I
mean :)). I guess the responsibility of this being a meaningful conversion
would be with the caller.

YA

PS: I don't know a way of knowing the encoding of wchar_t programmatically.
Is there one? That'd offer some interesting possibilities..