Re: GB18030

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 23:42:04 EDT

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 06:18:19PM -0700, Yung-Fong Tang wrote:
> Markus Scherer wrote:
>
> > Correction: "to encode _all_ of Unicode", not just "all Unicode BMP" - GB 18030 covers all 17 planes, not just the BMP.
>
> Does GB18030 DEFINED the mapping between GB18030 and the rest of 11 planes? I don't think so, since Unicode have not define
> them yet, right ?

Unicode defined all the planes, a long long time ago. It's added
characters for 3 of them - Plane 1 (basically the overflow area for the
non-CJK part of the BMP), Plane 2 (more ideographs) and Plane 14
(special tag characters). IIRC, GB18030 does map the non-BMP area. Why
wouldn't GB18030 define the relationship between itself and the non-BMP
planes? It's needed to properly handle Unicode (since extra Private Use
planes sit way out there), now and in the future, and it takes less work
to do it now than hack it on later.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,