Ḧÿp̈ḧën̈ ̈ẅïẗḧ ̈d̈ïäër̈ïs̈ ̈äb̈öv̈ë

From: Stefan Persson (alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 13:19:39 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <DougEwell2@cs.com>
To: <unicode@unicode.org>
Cc: <everson@evertype.com>
Sent: den 26 september 2001 17:20
Subject: Re: Egyptian Transliteration Characters

> In a message dated 2001-09-26 8:09:18 Pacific Daylight Time,
> everson@evertype.com writes:
>
> >> The problem is, I have a couple of German texts that I plan to
> >> transcribe, where all I need is HYPHEN WITH DIARESIS.
> >
> > So, you type HYPHEN or EN DASH and then COMBINING DIAERESIS ABOVE.
>
> I think that was David's point, that these things are always possible
using
> combining characters, and the argument "but it's easier with a precomposed
> character" doesn't stand up to the concerns about proliferation and
> normalization.

It doesn't look correct either:

-̈ –̈ —̈

In the first case, it's too far to left. In the last case it's too far to
the right. In all three cases it's too far high above the hyphens (at least
in the font I'm displaying this message with).

Stefan
(äb̈c̈d̈ëf̈g̈ḧïj̈k̈l̈m̈n̈öp̈q̈r̈s̈ẗüv̈ẅẍÿz̈å̈ä̈ö̈... diaeris above the last
three letters in the Swedish alphabet — åäö — doesn't work very well ;))