Re: Egyptian Transliteration Characters

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 06:41:25 EDT

At 15:05 -0700 2001-09-26, ۧͧ§ wrote:
>Is this the same Unicode that encodes characters and not glyphs?

Yes, it is, and I am not certain that Mark's "strong" suspicion is
correct because I have seen a lot of data. But I'll be asking
Egyptologists.

> >1. LATIN CAPITAL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL YOD
>>LATIN SMALL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL YOD
>>2. LATIN CAPITAL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL AYIN
>>LATIN SMALL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL AYIN
>>
>>I strongly suspect that current diacritics (for 1) and modifier letters (for
>>2) are similar enough in shape to what is required that they can be used.
>>Are there any other characters used by Egyptologist that are so close in
>shape to i?? and ?? or ?? that they cannot be used?

I don't know what i?? and ?? or ?? were meant to be, Mark.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com
15 Port Chaeimhghein ochtarach; Baile tha Cliath 2; ire/Ireland