Re: GB18030

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 16:25:43 EDT

From: "Yung-Fong Tang" <ftang@netscape.com>

> Can anyone tell me where can I find a online version of the GB18030
> standard (yes, I want the STANDARD itself. Not someone's paper talk
> about the standard) . Or anyone could tell me where to get a copy of the
> standard.

You mean the original Chinese? Hmmm.... I remember that folks were
frantically sending that link around last year as they struggled to get it
translated into English. I am not sure where the links were pointing to,
though.

> Is the U+10000 - U+10FFFF mapping between Unicode and GB18030 specified
> in the GB18030 standard itself? can someone fax me that page ? Thanks.

The mapping is defined (how else could anyone have implemented it?).

> looks like I beat ICU by checkin my mapping table at April 9 (to
> mozilla) , 10 days before they check in their first version of GB18030
> xml mapping table :) I probably can still claim the first open source
> project which support GB18030 to Unicode conversion, althought I didn't
> do anything beyond BMP ....

Considering the fact that neither Netscape 6.1 nor Mozilla 0.9.3 seem to be
able to handle supplementary characters, even on a machine that has the
support turned on and the font available, I can verify that there is no
"beyond the BMP" support there. :-)

IE 5.5 and IE 6.0 seem to do a much better job here, on the whole.... but
there is always hope for the future....

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.