Re: Missing Arabic and Syriac characters in Unicode

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 11:58:09 EDT

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Miikka-Markus Alhonen wrote:

> Is there anyone on this list who could provide more
> information/samples about the things I wrote?

I and a colleague are also writing a report on marks needed for the Arabic
script but not encoded in Unicode yet. All are marks needed for encoding
the Koran, some common ones, and some only used in Iran and Pakistan.

I was first thinking of submitting them one by one to UTC for encoding,
but thought that having all of them in a single proposal will save
efforts.

This includes 'Subscript Alef' and 'Turned Damma' (Ulta Pesh), used in
Iran and Pakistan; alternate double marks (Fathatan, Kasratan, Dammatan)
and some other marks which are used in official Korans of the Islamic
countries scribed by Osman Taha; and finally the smaller variants of
Fatha, Kasra, and Damma introduced by the Iranian government in the
Islamic Republic's official Koran, to help the reader pronounce 'Alef
Wasla's when they are starting a sentence.

I will announce the document here as soon as it gets ready.

roozbeh