Re: Special Type Sorts Tray 2001 (derives from Egyptian Transliteration Characters)

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 13:01:01 EDT

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 04:59:49PM +0100, William Overington wrote:
> In view of these various situations and possibly various others that people
> might like to post into this thread, I write to put forward the suggestion
> that as a discussion on this list various users of the unicode
> specification might like to agree informally a collection of characters
> called Special Type Sorts Tray 2001 or STST2001 to be defined in the Private
> Use Area in, say, the range U+E700 through to U+E7FF in the hope that

All those characters can be encoded in Unicode already. Use a ZWJ for
the ligated characters. And all those characters can be displayed on an
OpenType system - the H with line below and hyphen with diaresis can be
display on my xterm with overprinted combining characters. The rest of
the world has a solution for this; a hacked solution may be usable on
some systems that can't get it right, but there's no need to standardize
it.

Did you notice that all the characters you mentioned are for Latin
scripts? Some other scripts, in normal use, can take more than 256
glyphs to be right - see the Arabic pre-shaped glyphs and the
precomposed Hangul characters for examples.

I bet I can fill that with Latin examples alone. Malay Grammar has a
ligated ng. Lakota has at least couple dozen non-precomposed letters.
Lithuanian needs its couple dozen. Math books will arbitarily compose
any letter with any symbol - I can get a couple dozen examples from
what I have on hand. The Fraktur ligations probably add up to a couple
dozen there. I don't think I'd have any problem coming up with 256
examples, all clearly documented as to source with scans, by the end of
the day.

> Maybe someday some of the characters might be promoted to become regular
> unicode characters by the Unicode Consortium, maybe not.

Not likely. Unicode refuses to encode more ligatures and precomposed
characters.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I saw a daemon stare into my face, and an angel touch my breast; each