Special Type Sorts Tray 2001 (derives from Egyptian Transliteration Characters)

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 11:59:49 EDT

In a recent thread entitled Egyptian Transliteration Characters, a request
was made for various characters including the following.

LATIN CAPITAL LETTER H WITH LINE BELOW
LATIN SMALL LETTER H WITH LINE BELOW

There was also a suggestion from a participant in the thread for a character
HYPHEN WITH DIARESIS for use in preparing a vocabulary list in German.

I have been thinking recently that it would be useful to have presentation
forms for a ct ligature character and various long s ligatures so that one
may transcribe printed works from the 18th century into unicode while
keeping the typographic style intact.

There is already U+017F LATIN SMALL LETTER LONG S and U+FB05 LATIN SMALL
LIGATURE LONG S T in regular unicode.

I am thinking of such characters as LATIN SMALL LIGATURE LONG S LONG S and
LATIN SMALL LIGATURE LONG S L and LATIN SMALL LIGATURE LONG S B and so on.
There are perhaps about a dozen long s ligatures that could usefully be
encoded.

In view of these various situations and possibly various others that people
might like to post into this thread, I write to put forward the suggestion
that as a discussion on this list various users of the unicode
specification might like to agree informally a collection of characters
called Special Type Sorts Tray 2001 or STST2001 to be defined in the Private
Use Area in, say, the range U+E700 through to U+E7FF in the hope that
perhaps by there being some informal agreement perhaps someone with a font
generating package might like to add them into a font and maybe various
small yet significant benefits to the facilities available for encoding text
might be achieved.

Maybe someday some of the characters might be promoted to become regular
unicode characters by the Unicode Consortium, maybe not. I feel that it is
better to have available soon rather than not to have available some
informal list with some level of agreement amongst users, even if only tacit
agreement, so that it is possible to use unicode to encode the various
characters for the various purposes.

Please know that I am specifically suggesting that this be a discussion
amongst the user community: I am not suggesting that the Unicode Consortium
endorse this suggestion as I am fully aware that the rules for the use of
the Private Use Area specifically say that no assignment to a particular set
of characters will ever be endorsed by the Unicode Consortium. So, whilst
recognizing that that statement in the specification may not preclude the
Unicode Consortium from saying that some particular usage of the Private Use
Area is wrong in some way, the absence of any encouragement from the Unicode
Consortium over the definition of Special Type Sorts Tray 2001 should not be
seen as in any way an objection to it being defined.

I declare an interest in the choice of U+E700 to U+E7FF as the range for
STST2001 in that I have been defining and publishing, as part of my
research, designations for a number of characters in the Private Use Area
for a specific application area, namely for use in Java programming for the
DVB-MHP (Digital Video Broadcasting - Multimedia Home Platform) system and
this particular range does not conflict with the codes that I am using in
that project, so the choice of U+E700 to U+E7FF as the range would be
particularly convenient to me. If anyone is interested to see those
definitions then they are in the DVB-MHP section of
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo which is our family webspace in
England. There are references in various of the documents, namely the
Contemporary introduction, the document about Sequential text files and
their applications and in the second and third documents about the Astrolabe
Channel numerical pointer.

It is hard to even guess how many characters there are that people might
like to suggest for STST2001 and maybe there will be only a few and sorts
can be added gradually over a number of years, or maybe the tray will be
filled up quickly and starting another tray will need to be considered.
Hopefully STST2001 will be a useful facility and then when someone chooses
to put forward a suggestion for a character to be available then sometimes
adding it to STST2001 will be a suitable solution. A solution that someone
suggesting a character should allow eight days for discussion and then if
the suggestion does not conflict with an existing definition and no good
reason has been put forward as to why the suggestion should not be included
then the suggestion becomes included in STST2001 would perhaps be suitable.
A good reason might be that, unknown to the person making the suggestion,
that the character sort is already defined in regular unicode.

I feel that a special type sorts tray within the Private Use Area agreed
informally by people within the user community would be a very useful
facility.

William Overington