Re: Vietnamese Nom Text

From: Stefan Persson (alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 17:53:50 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Gewecke" <tom@bluesky.org>
To: <unicode@unicode.org>
Sent: den 11 april 2002 22:56
Subject: Re: Vietnamese Nom Text

> >see:
> >
> > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html
> >
> >which has an interesting new entry: Vietnamese N^¥m, the first entry
> >containing non-BMP characters (probably will not be entirely visible to
> >most people)
>
> Can *anyone* see it properly? Last I checked no browser could read UTF-8
> beyond the BMP, although some could handle such characters expressed as
> NCR's, Opera 6 for Win2K/XP being the best. If this has changed it would
be
> great to know.

IE5.5 under Win98 displays non-BMP characters if:

* The document is encodes as "User Defined,"
* The non-BMP characters are encoded as NCRs, and
* A font containing the glyphs is specified using the <font> command.

Under all other circumstances, the characters are displayed as one or two
square boxes.

Stefan