Re: Please help: Unicode sig in Hotmail

From: jshin@mailaps.org
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 08:58:51 EDT

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Shlomi Tal wrote:

> I've built a UTF-8 sig for my outgoing messages:
>
> |----------------------|
> | a BOY ♂ ... |
> | a GIRL ♀ ... |
> | they MEET ♂♀ ... |
> | HERE WE GO! |
> | ♂♥♀ |
> |----------------------|
>
> with Unicode symbols from the U+26xx block. However, it doesn't show up at
> all: neither in Compose, nor when I send a message to myself, nor when I
> send a message to someone else.

 ♂ (U+2641), ♀(U+2640), and ♥(U+2665) in your message arrived
intact at my mailbox. (I'm reading your message with Pine running under
xterm under ko_KR.UTF-8 locale. This message is being composed with Vim
6.x.) The reason your recipient or yourself couldn't see them is that
probably your message doesn't have MIME charset parameter specified in
Content-Type field. By manually setting encoding (in your browser or
mail client), you should be able to see them.

Your message has merely

It should have

Hotmail and most other webmail services used to have a lot of things to
be desired in terms of I18N and MIME standard compliance. However,
recently they got much better and I'm almost sure there's a way to
specify that you want to encode your outgoing emails in Unicode(UTF-8).

   Jungshik Shin