Re: Please help: Unicode sig in Hotmail

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 08:52:08 EDT

Shlomi Tal wrote:

> I've built a UTF-8 sig for my outgoing messages:
>
> |----------------------|
> | a BOY ♂ ... |
> | a GIRL ♀ ... |
> | they MEET ♂♀ ... |
> | HERE WE GO! |
> | ♂♥♀ |
> |----------------------|

In which the right edges of the box do not align. Note that two bytes
comprise any one of those special characters you are using.

> However, it doesn't show up at all

It does show up if I advise my mailer to assume UTF-8 encoding
for the display. So your UTF is basically alright, but you do
not get the tagging through.

> Please tell me how I can put it right.

There are several instances involved, and all of them must be properly
chosen, installed, and configured, in order to get it right:
- the operating system on your local computer,
- the mailer (MUA), or browser, software on your local computer, depending
   on the protocol you are using to access your MTA,
- the MTA you are using (I dont't know anything about Hotmail),
- any intermediate processes, such as the Unicode list server,
- the addressee's MUA.

With
- Windows 98 (2nd ed.), NT (4.0 or later), 2000, or XP,
- up-to-date TTF-fonts,
- an up-to-date, properly configured, browser
- a decent Webmail interface, and
- a decent, up-to-date MUA on the receiver's side,
it should work. Usually, the Webmail interface is the weak point.

I think, you should consult Hotmail's documentation, or contact
their support. Ask them, wether their Interface can handle UTF-8,
at all, and if so, how to configure your local software to take
advantage of this feature. If they do not understand your question,
then mention the MIME protocoll, specified in RFC 2045 and 2047,
<http://rfc.sunsite.dk/rfc/rfc2045.html>, <.../rfc2047.html>.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz