Re: Concerning proposals

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 10:59:20 EDT

On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 11:48 PM, Robert wrote:

> When you make a given font within whence will be characters that've not
> been yet encoded into Unicode that you'd like to propose, you'd need to
> reside those proposed characters into the Private Use Zone subarea
> (U+E000-U+EFFF, U+F100-U+F8FF) of your given TrueType/EPS Type 1 font.

Actually, this isn't an issue. Most of the fonts I've done have
overridden Roman, simply because of the primitive state of the tools used.

It's relatively easy for the editors to rearrange fonts as necessary.
Drawing the glyphs is the real pain.

> The Symbol Encoding subsection (U+F000-U+F0FF) is reserved for
> symbol/dingbat (pictoral)-type fonts (fonts consisting mainly of
> simplified pictures).

This is blatantly untrue. There is *no* "subsection" of the PUA. By its
very nature, it's a free-for-all.

It's true that a certain class of Windows TrueType fonts use this section
of the PUA, but that's a Microsoft convention, nothing more, on the order
of Apple's convention that the Apple logo goes at U+F8FF.

> You may elect, besides or instead of doing a font, to provide little
> clipart pixs (B&W .GIFs, .BMPs, .JPGs, .PNGs, ...) for the additional
> characters you'd like to see admitted into Unicode.

I believe that the proposal form specifically requires a TrueType font,
although not necessarily with the initial proposal. We can't use clipart
pix in the standard.

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com