Re: Please help: Unicode sig in Hotmail

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 12:17:02 EDT

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 08:20:52AM -0700, Doug Ewell wrote:
> I noticed that at least one response which quoted my "München" example
> did not do the same, so when viewing the HTML-ized mail archives, IE 5.5
> quite reasonably displayed the whole message in UTF-7, concealing the
> example.

I wouldn't classify it as reasonable; text that is labeled with the
charset (as all mail is, at least implicitly) shouldn't be displayed
with a different charset unless specificially told to or the text is
invalid in the labeled charset. Plain ASCII should always be assumed
over UTF-7, as it's more likely to be correct. OE's read FTP sites as
UTF-7, which was confusing, and clearly wrong, as I've never seen UTF-7
used as a filename encoding.

On a side note, every time I use one of the library's computers for
webbrowsing, I find it set to interpret all pages as Thai (Windows)/
Arabic (Windows)/Chinese (HZ) or some other character set. Are there
still that many unlabeled pages out there that this is nessecary? I'd
assume it was getting better, but I have no real reason to make that
assumption.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.